Wednesday 14 February 2018

Book Review: Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

Oh, the world should ended when I was eight. I would have welcomed it (sad, but true).  Or before I was born.

'Armageddon only happens once, you know. They don't let you go around again until you get it right.'


According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch - the world's only totally guide  to the future, written in 1655, before she exploded - the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just after tea...

People have been predicting the end of the world almost from its very beginning, so it's only natural to be sceptical when a new date is set for Judgement Day. This time though, the armies of the Good and Evil really do appear to be massing. The four Bikers of the Apocalypse are hitting the road. But both the angels and demons - well, one fast-living demon and a somewhat fussy angel - would quite like the Rapture not to happen.


And someone seems to have misplaced the Antichrist . . .


This the first Terry Patachatt novel I've read, but I've danced around with Gaiman before. I had been interested to read this book for a while and  the adaption with David Tennant pushed me to read it. I thought the TV adaption was being released sooner than is. It not coming out till 2019 so plenty of time to read this novel before then.

There's a lot characters in this book and jumbles between them all. The Angel and the Demon both being bad at what they meant to do always works.

The plot works well for the story, not sure why 11 year old Antichrist is what you would be waiting for. Wouldn't wait till puberty was finished? Humour I guess.

Is it weird when I finished this book, I immediately thought the ones stars would be a hoot, and they were. "Pretentious" and saying to get rid of characters that are necessary for the plot to work.

Overall, I give this book 4/5 stars for singe corners. This book is relevant and for being almost 30 years (we're all getting so old) it hard to date it really (except it's cds and ipods that turn into the best of Queen now). Well, I'm off to throw some books in a bath or something. 

1 comment:

  1. I was just commenting on another blog saying how much I need to read more Gaiman! Thanks for linking up to the British Books Challenge

    ReplyDelete