Wednesday 5 November 2014

Book Review: Spiders by Tom Hoyle

 The cover of these books are great but the content is...well...em.


 Adam may have survived once, but a cult still has him in its sights. And this time he may not escape with his life...
Abbie's dad is an undercover agent, tasked with exposing dangerous cults. He's normally able to maintain his distance, but this time Abbie's worried he's in too deep. Megan was sure she and Adam were safe, but now he's gone missing on a school ski trip in Scotland and she's the only one who can help him . . . The web is closing in around them . . .


 I can't remember why I requested to review this book (maybe because it had Scotland in the blub). It actually seems petty dumb of me to have dumb considering as I didn't much care for the first book (reviewed here) in the series and it didn't seem like the sort of series that would improve book by book. I was right.

Also not sure why there went with "From the Author of" instead of just saying this was sequel to Thirteen as this book doesn't make full sense without having read thirteen. References are made to Coron without proper explanation as who he is.

Certain things were better done, such as the horror film cops make more sense in this book as there is explainable reason for them not be listening to the Adam and that. However, the cults from this book and the last are meant have once been the the same but there honestly don't seemed linked in their beliefs. Also Coron was better antagonist.

So this might be a tad spoilerlie since I'm not sure where this first explain in the book, but it vital plot point that I want to discuss so just skip this paragraph to the next. This cult drugs people to join but whilst people see different things, there somehow hear the same thing. There is no explanation to why this is, is there speaker somewhere playing this line? Other parts of the drugs have been thought about like effects of the dosages.

This style of this book has not matured at all with the characters, not that characters feel any older. This is meant to be year after the events of the first book, not that makes much difference. This book series is still too young for the intended audience of Teen/YA. Some lines are really weird in this book as well: "Mimicking the Terminator: I'll be back" that's a hip and happening pop reference there.

"You're love Scotland. Its a place you're remember for the rest of your life." Mr Grant (Adam's dad) said in poor attempt of foreshadowing. This is dumb as it been established that where the cult is set up and Scotland is a disappointing Ski trip destination. I mean France is just next door and Italy is bus ride away. Also granted snow and 14 years can drink (so I'm told). Going to what is technically the top of the country is boring. Going to the bottom is also boring. That's right London is boring and over-hyped.

 I actually disliked the characters from the last book in this one. They feel cliché and sexist at times. One of my favourite quotes has to be: "She was as tough as any boy Adam knew." Adam a girl almost killed you last year and Megan saved your hide. You think that would teach you and the narrator not to make sexist observation especially since some of the boys you know are petty weak on all accounts. He then goes on to say all girls are the same as Megan but Abbie "was hundred-per-cent Abbie". You're find most people are hundred per cent themselves unless you know in a cult or something. I did like Abbie though, I cared about her but not Adam or Megan. There is a weird thing of characters being repeated being addressed by their relationship to other character even though we have been given their names. It made the writing a bit clunky, though I do kinda get why Hoyle did that.

Overall, I gave this book 2 out of 5 stars for cave swimming. The plot is predictable and I honestly think that Thirteen would have worked better as just a stand-alone. The epilogue was weird and made little sense. Going off the last lines of this book, there's going to be another sequel and I probably would read that if it doesn't cost me anything to do so but I'm just not sure there is much to do with these characters. Maybe I'm wrong.

I got this off Netgalley for a review. It’s being published by Macmillan Children's Books on 6th November 2014 (Tomorrow).

No comments:

Post a Comment