Wednesday 30 August 2017

Book Review: I have No Secrets by Penny Joelson

Maybe this book should be called I have all the secrets.

I have no secrets of my own.
I can't do anything without someone knowing about it.
I can see, though, and I can hear, and sometimes
people forget that.
Sometimes people talk about me
as if I'm not there.
I hate that. 
And sometimes people tell me their secrets.
Dan did.
And I can't tell anyone.
I wish I could do something.  

This novel is told from POV of someone with cerebral palsy on the extreme end. It's done okay. She does feel like a person and full out character. Jemma is fourteen and has own stuff going on.

Jemma is also forested by a family who forest two other children with specials needs, an autistic non-verbal six-year Finn and Olivia whose nine and something going with her, which was interesting to see as I've not came across another book YA that had the main character in that situation as portrayed positively. It was nice to see that dynamics.

The mystery/thriller side is kinda slow as Jemma is unable to communicate to people in anyway, so a lot of it is just her frustration and overhearing things. I do feel like the ending was bit of cop out, but this is on the young side of YA.

Overall, I give this book 4/5 stars for nose technology. This was an interesting idea and I'm glad people with disabilities getting to be in Thriller-est books instead of just standard contemporaries, while straight contemporaries are fine (usually too romance heavy for me), but they often just about people's problems and not tracking much besides that, no conspiracy or magic. Though, this book's plot is heavily reliant on her disabilities, I still enjoyed it.

I also did a video review.

No comments:

Post a Comment