Wednesday 5 August 2015

Book Review: Every Day by David Levithan

This is Quantum leap but worse because there is no Al or suppose purpose.


Every day I am someone else. I am myself - I know I am myself - but I am also someone else. It has always been like this.
Each morning, A wakes up in a different body. There's never any warning about who it will be, but A is used to that. Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.


 And that's fine - until A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with - every day...



The concept of this book is horrifying. I never realise how terrible it was until was half way through the book. This made me think of Quantum leap and have since been trying to figure out which was one is worse. Where there could be a leap home or you never had a home to leap to? A’s situation is worse than Sam’s but both are lives I would want to have. 

A has no gender and the English language has failed to come up with gendered neutral term, I will refer to A as a ‘She’ because everyone is secretly female in terms of biology and everyone always goes with ‘He’ when they don’t the know someone gender. I hate it and try to break the mode by using 'she' especially since it more likely to be true. They is just confusing to use. We need gender neutral term; maybe we should just steal the Swedish one.

The book is in A’s point of view and the book is separated by the actual days of the story and we actually told what day that is in A’s live, meaning it is possible to figure out A’s age. It was a nice touch and worked for the story.

We get to know several characters in this book and get a good taste of what A’s regular life is like. A is nice and likable in her morality. The thing is it is hard to get know character where they change bodies/lives everyday so A basically only has books and reads. Her personality is a bit bland and so is her love interest, Rhiannon. They are nice, Rhiannon has friends, A has a set of morals that she breaks for Rhiannon. I’m guessing they both like books. It could be they’re overshadowed by the other characters.

 The relationship was okay, the thing it comes from A of feeling sorry for Rhiannon and that where her feelings seem to stems from. I never notice that much when I was reading the book and they carry the novel well.

We learn more about the people that A takes over, which are a diverse and interesting cast with different living situation. There is an interesting side to this story. There is a big side to LGBTQA+ side as we get most of those letters and with A not having a defined gender, she herself doesn’t care about gender. There was good representation of mental health. The way being in different the bodies was described was awesome and realistic of what we know of bodies. 

Overall, I gave this book 5/5 stars for possession confessions. The idea of this book was interesting and the execution was great. I am going to read and review the sequel in an hour. I am totally that quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment