Wednesday 15 April 2015

Book Review: Love Hurts, edited by Malorie Blackman

 I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

Malorie Blackman brings together the best teen writers of today in a stunningly romantic collection about love against the odds. Featuring short stories and extracts about modern star-crossed lovers from stars such as Gayle Forman, Markus Zusak and Patrick Ness, and with a brand-new story from Malorie Blackman herself, Love Hurts looks at every kind of relationship, from first kiss to final heartbreak.

This is a book of is mix of short stories and extracts from YA books which is just really disappointing. There is actually seven short stories, next to the 17 extracts. Of course, only 5 of those stories are original to this book. Extracts are weird because I feel like there probably major spoilers for the books they're from. I look at the ones that I had already read and would say yes, that was a spoiler and if I had wanted to read a part of this book then I would have brought that book. (To be clear I never brought this book, it a review copy like it says at the bottom). I have not read all this book, there are book extracts in here from books that I plan to read and would rather read the whole book the first time all together. I have read all the short stories, the extracts from books I've already read and books that I don't think I'll ever read.

Introduction by Malorie Blackman: Should I really review a introduction? I guess I could have did it in a jokey way, but no.

Humming Through my Fingers by Malorie Blackman: This is story in which a blind girl trolls a boy (to be clear I mean the internet definition and not the idiotic media's that thinks a troll is someone who sends people death threats). I like this story, it was good idea to start with the possible start of romance. 3/5 stars for ties.

Extract from More Than This by Patrick Ness: Did not read as I own and plan to read this book.

Extract from The Infinite Moment of Us by Lauren Myracle: Did not Read.

Extract from If I Stay by Gayle Forman: This extract was good choice, if we doing extracts. But this is such a short novel that works better as whole as most novels do.

Tumbling by Susie Day: This story shockingly involves tumblr. Also BBC Sherlock. It was cute story about two girls meeting for first time in the real life after being best friends online. I give this for 4/5 stars for profile picts. I will not be bribed with Sherlock fangirls.

Extract from Trouble by Non Pratt: Did not read as I own and plan to read this book.

Extract from Rani and Sukh by Bali Rai: Did not read.

Extract from You Against Me by Jenny Downham: Did Not Read.

Extract from 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson: Did not read as I own and plan to read this book.

Extract from Junk by Melvin Burgess: Did Not Read.

Extract from Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman: Did Not Read.

Gentlewoman by Laura Dockrill: I got a pretty good feel for this story within the first few sentences. This is about Transgirl about to start living as girl during high school. The relationships were family, romance and friendship. The relationships could have been better developed. But I enjoyed the style of this and the ending was good. 4/5 stars for shapeless clothing.

Extract from Heroic by Phil Earle: Did not Read.

Miss Lucy had a Steamboat by David Levithan:Whilst a short story, in a way this is also a extract because it was originally published in a collection short stories by him: How they met and other short stories. I like this story, I'll probably pick up the actual collection eventually since I like Levithan and didn't know about it's existence. This is gays in high school, a girl's lack of public relationship. That description sucks. 5/5 stars for childish innuendos.

Extract from I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak: Did not read

Extract from Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith: Did not read as I own and plan to read this book.

Extract from Echo Boy by Matt Haig: I actually have a review of this novel. The extract comes from a really random scene of the book, also I think it would spoiler the relationship dynamics/plot for you if you read this extract. I also it not very romantic or lovie. Echo Boy is probably meant to be a romance story but it's not what I would classify as such in the first place.

Extract from Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma: Did not read.

Endless Love: The Valentine of Daniel and Lucinda by Lauren Kate:Well, guys you never guess what but this isn't original story either. The best part is, I was instantly confused when I started reading it so I google it and what you know it was from book of short stories that's part of Fallen series. No one reads Novellas that are in middle of series except by mistake. I feel like I have to google every story to find out where it came from (I did it's just these two that have appeared in other books). This is basically the same as extract as the characters talk about things I have no idea about never having read the Fallen series which is why I won't be rating it as I feel it doesn't work as a short story by itself.

Extract from Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick: Hm...I get why this here, though I only skimmed read it as I didn't feel like reading any of the extracts this far into my journey into this book. It make sense but I still see the point of a scene from the middle of the book. I'm finding it hard to positive to be about this book as I'm reviewing each story/extract straight after I read them in the order in the books.

The Liar's Girl by Catherine Johnson: A historical story about love and revenge. 3/5 stars for smells.

The Unicorn by Juno Dawson: This feels like the most serious of the short story, but then is told from the POV of gay old man about his Youth in the Navy during war and when Homosexuality was crime in Britain. Fun Topic and not what I was expecting from a story titled "The Unicorn".  I also now have the song In the Navy stuck in my head. I should probably rewrite that opening sentence but I shan't. I give this 4/5 stars for tattoos.

Extract from Northern Lights by Philip Pullman: I once attempted to read this book, but it was so bloody boring so I quit, I mean there was murdering and sneaking going on so no I will never read this whole novel. So I glance at the extract and thought nah so I did not read this.

Extract from We Were Liars by E. Lockhart: This is one of the better extracts and some what works by itself. Except for the whole lie that you should go into that book knowing nothing about it.

Overall, I gave this book 3/5 stars for random scenes. Even if the short stories had all been brilliant five out of five stories, I still wouldn't been able to rate this book 5 stars because of the way this book is marketed is sort of wrong. It pissed me off to be frank and I didn't even pay anything for it. I mean I would never buy a book of extracts, which is what this is basically and not good ones. The short stories have been added to convince you to buy it. Except for Malorie Blackman, the authors specifically mentioned in this blurb don't actually attributable anything to the book. The worst part is that original stories are good, even with the suspicion that their aim was to throw in as much diversity as possible. I'm not saying it a bad thing especially since Malorie Blackman is all about trying to diverse YA books and an anthology about love should involve LGBT. However, I don't trust non-disabled writers writing about disability because I have been badly burned and live in a world where on a majority people think "The Curious Incident in the Nighttime" by Mark Hamot is a good book and that is a rant for another post. If this had been only short stories, with another standalone five more stories (or three depending on length) then I could get behind this book. But it's not, so it's added to the "what could have been" list in my head. I can only recommended this book if some of your favourite writers actually have a original short story in here or you want a taste of some of these writers and don't care about spoilers (and have cash to burn). Though, if you see this in your local library get it. The short stories are at least worth a read if not to own. The fact this still got 3/5 stars and not 1 after bouts of annoyance I kept getting as I got deeper into the book, is to their credit.

I got this off NetGalley and it published by Corgi Childrens.

No comments:

Post a Comment