Wednesday 24 January 2018

Book Review: Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

Why can't any of the gods be faithful to one person?

This is a super pretty cover in real life.
BEFORE THE BEGINNING THERE WAS NOTHING - NO EARTH, NO HEAVENS, NO STARS, NO SKY: ONLY THE MIST WORLD, FORMLESS AND SHAPELESS, AND THE FIRE WORLD, ALWAYS BURNING.

From the dawn of the world to the twilight of the gods, this is a dazzling retelling of the great Norse myths from the award-winning, bestselling Neil Gaiman.

This is my sixth Neil Gaiman thing I've consumed, I've listen to a few audio things. Looking back at my past reviews of these encounters, it was okay but comes out on the negative side in review form. I like Neil Gaiman as person and his ideas, just the execution goes wary for me. Basically, I saw this in the library and was like why not see what everyone is raving about. I enjoyed this book very much.

My contact with Norse mythology is slack. It mostly comes from that episode of Disney's Hercules cartoon (ep34: Hercules and the Twilight of the Gods which I'm currently rewatching), random stuff when Vikings are mentioned and I guess Gaiman's American Gods but I don't remember any of that being new to me at the time.

It told in stories from start of the world till the end where a wolf will eat the sun. It works well, I wasn't confused much. (Why is there a Frey and a Freya?)

Overall, I give this book 4/5 stars for body parts floating in Wisdom. I like Gaiman's re-telling of things. I'm not sure really how to review this things as it a re-telling of a Mythology that I didn't know much about in detail. (Would that make my Viking forebears sad?)

(My review of Hercules and the Twilight of the Gods is that is it weird and mentions a bunch of myths and Loki is Hades for some reason).

2 comments:

  1. I'm tempted by this one. I also have Viking forebears and very limited exposure to Norse Mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking to the British Books Challenge x

    ReplyDelete