Wednesday 26 March 2014

Book Review: A Kiss in the Dark by Cat Clarke


I honestly think that there might be a curse on the books I decide to read that are set in Scotland.

When Alex meets Kate the attraction is instant. Alex is funny, good-looking, and a little shy – everything that Kate wants in a boyfriend. Alex can’t help falling for Kate, who is pretty, charming and maybe just a little naive . . . But one of them is hiding a secret, and as their love blossoms, it threatens to ruin not just their relationship, but their lives.

I’m a big fan of Cat Clarke. I have read all of her books (reviewed two of them). This has to be my least favourite of her books though. It also arguable has the happiest ending, if you’ve read Cat Clarke you’re realise that not saying much as Clarke likes to break hearts and she does it so well.

I liked Alex, but just found myself generally annoyed by Kate through most of the book. Sometimes I kinda just wanted to slap her. The romance is overshadowed by the “Secret” so it not romance-romance but there is some sappy. I like Jamie, Alex’s brother. Their relationship is interesting with each is interest.  It also feels like there something going on with Jamie. The book is told both Alex’s and Kate’s point of view. I liked Alex’s voice better, but you definitely need Kate’s. I like how the book is spitted into before and after the secret is reveal.

The plot of the book is this secret: the hiding of it, the reaction of it and then the consequences. I’m not quite sure what to say, because I can’t decide if the actual secret is a spoiler or not. We learn it in the first few chapters but still it probably best to go in blind. Let just say it was inspired by something that was a big news story a few years ago but the story in this book is way more believable (I remember Cat Clarke tweeting saying so). I will also say it set in Edinburgh which I enjoyed.

Overall, I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars for matching hats. I do like this novel and has interesting themes going on. I think there’s a good chance that I would have liked it better if I read it in a different mood. Cat Clarke is still great and I love her.

I got this off Netgalley for a review. It’s being published by Quercus Children's on 3rd April 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment