Tuesday 5 February 2013

Review: Undone by Cat Clarke

I was incredibly excited for this book since I found out about it, being quite the big fan of Cat Clarke. I loved both her other novels.  Before I start to gush, lets have the straight up summary that's on the back of the book.

Jem Halliday is in love with her gay best friend. Not exactly ideal, but she's learning to live with it.

Then the unspeakable happens. Kai is outed online ... and he kills himself.

Jem knows nothing she can say or do will bring him back. But she wants to know who was responsible. And she wants to take them down.


As I take quite the interest in covers, I just want to start by saying I love this cover, but while matching the plot, its had annoying issues. Its looks like a blonde, little girl (it meant be a teen, but at first glance it looks like a kid) in a dress. This matches no one in the book. No one. Its shame really, as Clarke had the good luck with the other two books with covers that make sense. Okay, it might slightly match someone, but why put them on the cover is beyond me. But the font is petty.

Now for the actual important part.

 "Undone" is beautifully heartbreaking. I had tears in my eyes though most the last hundred pages or so. Basically, Jem gets her a letter with three names on it which she presumes is a list of who outed Kai. She then take upon herself to get revenge in her last year of life. Because Jem had decided to kill herself a month after Kai, but it is stopped by twelve letters (one for each month of the year) written by Kai. So now new plan is to get revenge and then kill herself on the anniversary of Kai's death.

The letters from Kai were a highlight (though very camp) and good look into Kai and Jem's friendship. Though, somethings he asks Jem to do are bit stupid. The whole blonde hair annoyed me, as soon as she does it I was hoping she dyed back to black or at least her natural colour before the book finished.

I also really dislike the mum (though I'm petty sure you're meant to), she so happy to ignore her daughter's problems because she now blonde and wearing "standard" make-up. I think those things are petty clear warning signs.

Jem to get her revenge becomes part of "Team Popular" so that she can find out their weaknesses. I think the first two revenges were fitting, but I never really understood the last one. She really seemed more at rick as well with that one. I also I think they could have been better spread out, as during the first and second one I got bit impatient, same with the third one, trying to figure what she was up to. I guess the last one was petty obvious, once things were in motion, but I just didn't understand how that was bad. There were bigger humiliations that she could have done, and it was bit half arsed.

That's basically all I can say without spoiling it. I gave it 5/5 stars but I don't think it was as brilliant as Clarke last two books. I still highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment