Wednesday 5 February 2014

Book Review: Dead Silent by Sharon Jones


Imagined if Bob the Builder became a Psychic Crime Investigator? Now that’s a show I would watch.

When Poppy Sinclair and her boyfriend visit snowy Cambridge, she doesn't expect to discover the body of a student - arms outstretched in the act of smearing bloody angel wings on the chapel's floor.

Suddenly, Poppy is faced with the possibility that the one closest to her heart might be the one committing the most malicious of crimes.

Dodging porters and police, dreading what she might find, Poppy follows the clues left by a murderer bent on revenge...

Long-hidden secrets are chillingly revealed, an avenging angel seeks forgiveness and red-hot vengeance must be quelled in the amazing new Poppy Sinclair thriller.

Dead Silent is the second book in The Poppy Sinclair Thriller series, if you have not read the first one then I suggest checking out my review on Dead Jealous. Though, I wouldn’t say you have had to read the first one to understand what going on but you should read the first one purely on the fact that it is awesome.

The characters are very realistic. Poppy and Michael feel like real teenage. Poppy has this complicated relationship with her dad and I think that was dealt with well. This also YA book with a proper plot that doesn't just stick to a school vocabulary a.k.a there is sexy talk and swearing in it. I love YA novels with swearing in it. It my biggest issue with YA is that no one ever swears, not even when they run into walls and demons. In real life you most certainly swear in those situations. Back to my point, it's another reason I love this book.
This is a very entertaining book to read. It quite witty at times and there is some awesome lines in it. My favourite being “You're not flaming Bob the Builder, Poppy. There are some things is you can't fix.” I shall now quote this to everyone at random times. It won't make any sense, especially since I don't know any one named Poppy.

The actual mystery part of the book involves a secret society and religious imagery so what not to love. The solution once again was everything it should be: logical and not obvious. I thought I knew who it was; I kept seconded guessing myself but it did turn out I was right. You never actually sure  of the solution until the big reveal. 

The supernatural side of the series is growing with Poppy having Psychic incidents. It didn’t really have much to do with the crime solving but does seem to be building up to that in the next book (Well, I really hope there’s next book anyway). So far there has also been a Physicist reference in every book. I'm really hoping for Richard Feynman in the next one. Though, maybe Jones is only sticking to British ones.

I give Dead Silent 5 out of 5 stars for bloody wings. The content is more mature than the first book, there is swearing, sexier times and the crimes are sort of gruesome (which I awkwardly love). It has a good mystery, well written and the characters are awesome. It just a very good and enjoyable novel/series to read; which I shall be pushing on to everyone from now on. 

P.S. I had to rewrite the whole review so I’m not very all pleased with blogger/google at all. I shall now forever to be paranoia to have backups of everything. Frankly, not as happy with this as the first one which is the way when things are lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment