Wednesday 26 February 2014

Book Review: The Last Werewolf Glen Duncan

If I ever become a werewolf, I would target people who talk before they think as my victims. Its been one of those days.

YOU'RE THE LAST. I'M SORRY. THE END IS COMING.

For two centuries Jacob Marlowe has wandered the world, enslaved by his lunatic appetites and tormented by the memory of his first and most monstrous crime. Now, the last of his kind, he knows he can't go on. But as Jake counts down to demise, a violent murder and an extraordinary meeting plunge him straight back into the desperate pursuit of life.



This book was alright. It’s the start of trilogy that recently has finished, it didn't leave me running out to find the next one (I did check if the library had it, they did not).

It features of an old werewolf who have become endangered and then a organisation decides to just fuck it and killed them all because eradicate a whole sub-race (most would say species but don't like that the biology of that. It is more Hybrid than actual species- I could go on but won't. It's topic for another post) of humanity is going to be positive. Jacob doesn't care if he dies. I didn't care if he died.

The characters are generally unlikable. Not because they kill people, just because most are defined by what they are/do so are boring. Except Harley, poor idiotic Harley who in old age gave up reading which is stupid. Any sympathy for Jacob I had just slowly disappeared. The characters aren't very distinctive from each. Also this is tiny bit of a spoiler so still want to read this and be spoiler free do not high-light the following. [ There is a case of instanter love, it could be played off as a supernatural thing. I mean doesn't play well for were/vamp books to have such things since that other certain book. Yes, Duncan if you reading this (which I doubt but who knows) I just compared your book to Twilight. I mean its not my biggest issue though. I just sigh and read on now. ]

It meant to be journal but it just reads as first-personal narration of life as it happens mostly. It also has parts and chapters. It has a few memorable scenes. It’s sort of poemy. This also random reference to a Robert Browning poem I think. I mean it exact same line; expect the Pronouns are different. But frankly it is a line that I found myself repeating out loud. You almost can't help yourself. And no I won't tell which one. Read all his poems and then this book to find out (or you could just search through my BookTube channel till you find the one that involves the same Robert Browning poem. My first suggestion is funner).

The actual mythology was interesting. Based off common werewolf myth, but with a slight spin. It typical lack of females (another thing I could discuss about werewolves; I have theories,) and full-moon transformations. 

Overall, I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars for smelly c*nts (you could make a drinking game out of how many times that word was used. I think 3 specifically to do with smelling them). It was alright book, definitely not the worst werewolf book I've ever read. I would continue the series if they fell into my lap one day; with my whole TBR guilt that's probably only the only way I will finish the trilogy. I would recommend this book to werewolf lovers, who prefer high action plot than developed characters (I could see the effort for both but characters just fell flat for me).

No comments:

Post a Comment