Wednesday 24 June 2015

Book Review: Twisted Dark: Volume 1 by Neil Gibson

It's not very twisted or dark.

Twisted Dark is a series of interconnected psychological thrillers, perfect for fans of twist endings and comics that reveal more on the second reading. Each story stands alone, but the more you read, the more connections you see between the characters. There are over 100 characters that appear more than once and one of the joys of reading is when you spot a reference that you know others will have missed. A rotating team of talented artists draw the stories, with each style offering something new.

This is graphic novel with a short story motive and usually with short stories I would comment on each story but with this I don't have much to say and think it would all mostly borderline on spoilers.

This is meant to be full of twists or whatever, but it was mostly predictable, especially since you were expecting them. I don't know if a book of twists really works as a concept because you know that all of them are going to have one. Also some of the so called twist were just lame. Very few were actually good and satisfying.

The writing was okay but nothing enchanting and I had to push myself to finish it. It was just boring afterward.

The art is and good quality but I got kind of sick of it even with the artist changing. The concentrate black was a bit much after a while. Also one of the stories (e.g.Cocaína) was confusing as the the main character looked the same as another character.

Overall, I gave this two out of five stars for finding someone to blame. This didn't do a good job of holding my attention and I don't see myself reading any of the other volumes. I like dark, twisted things and I didn't like this so I'm not sure who will like it. Though, I feel I should note that I read this from a digital review copy and it was hellish loading it on my computer to read it so that might have effected my enjoyment of it.

I got this for review off NetGalley and from TPub.

No comments:

Post a Comment