Saturday 1 June 2013

Book Review: American Gods by Neil Gaiman


Gaiman, is it the hype that makes you dull?

 Days before his release from prison, Shadow's wife, Laura, dies in a mysterious car crash. Numbly, he makes his way back home. On the plane, he encounters enigmatic Mr Wednesday, who claims to be a refugee from a distant war, a former god and the king of America. 

Together they embark on a profoundly strange journey across the heart of the USA, whilst all around them a storm of preternatural and epic proportions threatens to break.


Neil Gaiman is writer that everyone talks about as being brilliant, but its weird that while I find him a capable and a good writer; I'm not blow over by him. I like the idea of his books but there's no spark between us. I've read only one of his other books which was kids book but I feel like it safe to say that Gaiman and I won't be having that many future encounters. 

This book is rather slow and long (don't mean in a bad way). The plot takes awhile to developed. The was other side-plots, but the main plot was just kinda slow.

I'm not sure what to say about this book as I have no strong feelings towards it at all. Its written well and there's nothing wrong with it. It all adds up. Its big and slow is my only real complaint.

There's a lot of characters in this book with all the gods. There all interesting in their own way, but no real attachment to any of them. Not even the main character Shadow.

I will that didn't know what exactly was going to happen in this book, but I had been thinking along those lines which I can't say because of Spoilers.

Okay, I don't think if this review was that helpful. We're just take this as a learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment