Wednesday 26 June 2013

Book Review: Falling by Cat Clarke

I stand by that gay and house party is all you need to know. Oh, and Cat Clarke likes to break heart.


You're not supposed to kiss someone who ISN'T your Boyfriend.

It's petty much the first rule of relationships.

But that's what I did last night.

It's a hot summer night, Cam is having the party of the year, and Anna has big plans. Her best friend Tilly's come out, and Anna wants to set her up with the only other gay girl in school. That should take the heat off Anna and her own guilt over cheating on Cam. 

As the party hots up, Anna sets off a chain of events that will change all their lives forever.

A powerful novel about sexuality and growing up, realistically and frankly portrayed by acclaimed YA novelist Cat Clarke. Particularly suitable for struggling, reluctant and dyslexic readers of 14+.

Okay, I like to start by saying this is a book meant for Dyslexic readers so its very short, but still bloody fantastic. I also think that the paper is a bit different from normal book paper. Like slightly thicker and more yellowy if that makes sense.

I really like this book, there's foreshadowing and god the title is perfect in so many ways (okay, two ways) and want to go all English essay on it. Though, like I said this very short so I don't think there's much I can say without spoiling it.

This book does feature a sexual crist and awkward conversations. Having been in a similar (though not totally the same) situation, can tell you that is handled in a very realistic way. You can feel the awkwardness and I was having flashback. 

I really love the three main characters, Cam, Anna and Tilly. You do start to feel for them in the short space of time and you will care about what happens to them. 

This not a happy ever after book (but what books that I love are) and if you've ever read any of Cat Clarke books this is her typical sort of ending. I was pages away from the end and just thinking Oh no something terrible going to happen. Tears were shed. 

Oh, yeah, this book is also set in Scotland. It has no effect on the story but books set in my homeland are rare. It just mentioned in passing.

I might actually do a spoiler book discussion of this book on my booktube channel. We see if I find time. I gave this book Five/Five stars and recommend it to everyone, but especially people who like a little heartbreak which is the same with all Cat Clarke's books.

No comments:

Post a Comment