Saturday 8 June 2013

America Taking Over: Book Edition

On Tuesday Night, I realise I had only read 12 fictional books written by British Authors. 

61.36% of the books I've read this year so far were by Americans which is slightly depressing. Only 31.81% were by British Writer. Though, the non-fictional I read this read so far were 100% by British writers, all two of them.

The reason I realise this was because I'm doing the British Book Challenge this year. I counted the book reviews I had done and realise it was rather low number considering I've read 44 books this year so far.

I guess kinda weird how dominant another culture can be in your reading habits and guess TV as well. I mean I know in a lot of ways I come from a culture that often undermined with the fault that as part of the UK a lot of people forget that Scotland is a country on its own. I mean I have never read YA books that showcase that proudly states the Scottish School system. The closest is literally Harry Potter since Hogwarts has same titles for the year groups. Once upon of time I read about Harry's third year while I, myself was in my Third year too. To be honest as writer myself, I think it might be a risk.

In many ways, we're writing for a English reading market which includes competition from Australia, Canada and America will always be shadow. So as Scot I know the American school system and the English one, but neither an American or English person is likely to have any clue about the Scottish one. I know the school systems don't play a major role, it just one of those minor detains.

I remember finding an YA novel by an English writer and feeling instant annoyed when I found out it wasn't set in Britain because at that time it was rare  for me to find any books that shared any parts of my culture. I found some good YA books where it is mum, and not mom and the "u" isn't missing from words since then. Though, its also difficult to find when you like a certain Genre, even when you arguably come from the home of that Genre. I mean Fantasy. I guess its called Urban fantasy, but I don't really like that term. I prefer Hardcore Fantasy where you got characters in complete Fantasy world or Fantastical l where your character stumbles across a witch in the street.

I'm Scottish, but I share a hell lot culturally with English person or I guess Welsh (though I don't think I've ever had a proper conversation with Welsh person), that's why I also think of myself of as being British. Still its so lovely when I find decent tv or film where I hear a Scottish accent. Especially since I moved down to the Borders. While still in Scotland, it feels rather English. I guess it probably all those English people who moved here. I mean honestly, I'm not even sure what the native accent is down here. Generally, I miss Central Scotland so much.

With sharing a langagure with America, it often forgot how different Britain is from them. I personally think they are probably the most different than all the other English speaking countries. Sometimes I feel like we get America's culture forced on us. It not the same bond we share with say our other Commonwealth countries (not just the shared version of English spelling). I mean for example, Australia and Britain swap TV or you find joint projects. Its actually British viewers that kept some of the Australian soaps going.

Maybe I'm getting off track, my real point is that I never actually notice how most of what I read was American. It kinda obvious in reflection. I guess kinda realised why the British Book Challenge is actually exists.

P.S. If thinking I forgot about Ireland, New Zealand and others, I didn't they just didn't fit in my arguments. In fact I read two books by an Irish Author, though they were set in Britain.

No comments:

Post a Comment