Wednesday 12 March 2014

Book Review: The Eye of Minds by James Dashner

I'm sorry Micheal, I'm afraid I can't do that.

For Michael and the other gamers, the VirtNet can make your wildest fantasies become real. And the more hacking skills you have, the more fun. Who wants to play by the rules anyway?

But some rules were made for a reason. One gamer has been taking people hostage inside the VirtNet with horrific consequences.

The government needs Michael to track down the rogue gamer, but the risk is enormous and the line between game and reality could be blurred forever . . .


The plot is quite interesting, but so saw the twist. I guess from half way through the book. It sort of obvious, but it’s not. I felt like there was a twist so then the twist would obviously be that.

Dashner has created an interesting world. Virtual Internet worlds have been a thing since the 80s. You do it naked for some reason; you can just image all the dodgy things people do in their coffins (that what the box things you lie whilst in the virtual world is called). Sell safes (I don’t think that’s right phrase) are fun.­­

The chapters have this weird layouts where there parts in them and don’t really get why. It doesn’t really serve any purpose that I can work out. 
We have the typical trio, two boys and one girl (who usually ends up dating one of the boys in the trio and that totally doesn’t get old). Michael is the main character with Bryson and Sarah being the back-up.  It is a bit formatted but I like to think that Bryson is actually 40 year man with two kids he doesn’t see, deciding maybe he attempt another go as being a stand-up comedian and Sarah is a 12 year old boy who just starting to notice other boys. We do only meet them in the virtual world. This is more a plot/world driven book, you just have to like the characters enough that you care if they die, which I did find myself doing.

Overall, I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars for tangents. I do plan to continue the trilogy. I am intrigued.

No comments:

Post a Comment