Wednesday 30 July 2014

Book Review: The Dark Flight Down by Marcus Sedgwick

 I haven't this disappointment in a name since finding out what the J stood for in Homer J. Simpson.

In the morning you should think
You might not last unto the night
In the evening you should think
You might not last unto the morn


Boy has survived the terrors of life with the magician Valerian, dark magic, and deadly chases, but he is still on the run. Now, as the City lies frozen, he is captured and incarcerated in the Emperor Frederick’s palace. Boy is transported to a world of splendor, and wealth beyond his wildest imagining. But beneath its golden veneer, this world is full of madness and cruelty, closely guarded secrets, and terrifying revelations.


 So this is the sequel to The Book of Dead Days which was a book I really liked. I didn't like this one as much as I found the characters continued to be weak and I didn't enjoy the plot as much this time. 

The plot this times involves Boy trying to escape repeatedly from people and we get answers to the questions from the last book. However, they were kinda underwhelming. Finding out who the serial killer made me go what, more than it made sense. It became clear early on what the solution would end up being as well.

I gave this book four out of five stars for winding stairs. I can't remember why though, which proves that you shouldn't wait months before writing a review. While I liked this book, it is sort of bland in my memory. I'm glad I read it to have finished the series but it definitely not as good as the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment