Wednesday 9 July 2014

Book Review: Glimpse by Kendra Leighton

This is actually the second book inspired by Alfred Noyes’ The Highwayman and only read it with this book.

The highwayman came riding –
Riding – riding
The highwayman came riding, up to the old inn-door

Liz just wants to be normal. Her life is anything but.

Seven years ago Liz lost her mother and ten years’ worth of memories. When she inherits the infamous Highwayman Inn, she hopes the move will be a fresh start. Then she meets Zachary. Zachary who haunts her by night and in dreams; who makes her question everything she is and wants to be; who seems scarcely real – yet makes her feel so alive.


 I like the plot of this book. It also takes the stance of that seeing ghost would actually be a pain in the arse. The way the ghost work is a interesting take with just a parts of them being visible and more of overwhelming feeling when they're present. I think that was probably my favourite part of the book.

The character were all quite distinct but the plot does relay too much on characters being basically insane. Liz's issues with her mother was good addition. The romance was alright, I'm never person to ask about this so it all I can think to say.

The plot is okay, there a few things that let it down. Liz is bit too clueless in the name of the plot and
 the ending is a bit dodgy in the moral sense. I can't say anything else about that without it being a major spoiler.

Overall, I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars for bowls of bones. The ghost are awesome but there was one rule I didn't get. Things were a bit slow and there was a few plotholes such as why did certain characters do the bidding of a certain character in the first place. It is worth a read if you're into ghost and sort of retelling of poems.

I got this off NetGalley for review. It published by Much-in-Little

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to read this for a while now so I'm a little disappointed that there are a few plot holes and things that don't make sense. I'm glad you enjoyed parts of it though :o) It'll be interesting to see if I enjoy the romance more than you did LOL

    Just as a quick heads up you might want to check the British Books Challenge post tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete