Wednesday 18 February 2015

Book Review: Possessed by Kate Cann

People who ride motorbikes in the country are insane, so don't.


Escape...
or Trap?

When she finds a job at a secluded country manor, Rayne jumps at the chance to get away from the stifling city, her mother and her controlling boyfriend. 

But the ancient house is suffocating, filled with spooky relics and a strange energy. And the longer she stays, the more she can feel something evil at work...something that wants to keep her there for ever.

By the way, 'forever' is one word and I copied the blurb exactly the way it was on the back of the edition I read. Obvious spelling/grammar mistakes in (or on) books are a thing that I will point out. I got this book from the library, mainly because the cover was cool and I don't read enough horror.

In terms of horror, horrifying things are discussed and terrible things are done. However, this book is not scary. I could understand Rayne's fear and panic, it just didn't transfer to me as I was reading it. I could have read this book during a powerout, by candle light in an empty house and it would have been comfort, rather a than a encouragement for me to go fleeing to find people and light.

I had a power out right before I starting this book. It played on my mine during this because if Rayne had lost power at night then she be by herself with only log fire for light. Just one of the ways your real life can play with the way you read books.

The plot is interesting and well done for the age group. I'm really intrigued by the going on's of Morton's Keep and eager to learn more about what's going. This book has the perfect balance of satisfying ending, but there still questions to be answer.

Rayne is a likable and understandable character. The other characters are okay. I don't feel attachment to any of them really. The mystery side of the character could have done better but it didn't effect the book majorly.

I give this book three stars out of five for ghost pigs. I'm interested to read the next book as I want to know more, in fact I even reserved it  at the library which cost me 75p. Back in the day I could have brought used copy of it for that price but room is full books and you know supporting libraries. The next book is called "Fire" in the UK and Consumed in America but both books in this series have had other names in the past. Renaming books is a confusing, but understandable practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment