Wednesday 4 February 2015

Book Review: Unspeakable by Abbie Rushton

Does anyone else think it's odd that not speaking is becoming a trend in YA books? (e.g.
Speechless by

 Megan doesn't speak. She hasn't spoken in months.

Pushing away the people she cares about is just a small price to pay. Because there are things locked inside Megan's head - things that are screaming to be heard - that she cannot, must not, let out.

Then Jasmine starts at school: bubbly, beautiful, talkative Jasmine. And for reasons Megan can't quite understand, life starts to look a bit brighter.

Megan would love to speak again, and it seems like Jasmine might be the answer. But if she finds her voice, will she lose everything else?


I didn't feel very sympathetic towards Megan at the start of the book. Even as someone who suffers from Select Mutism, her not speaking annoyed me (maybe it annoyed more because it). It portrayed more as being a choice for her in her head and not something she can't do mentally. Her reasons for being silent are really bad as well.

Time for 'Rachel Verna points out random things in the book' section of this review: So Luke comes from incestuous family, "Luke starts to tell me about his nephews and how they terrorised the poor babysitter the last time his aunt and uncle went out." I thought about this, trying to think where this wouldn't be incest related, it all comes to complicated family matters. Or maybe it's actually his cousins, or Megan was not actually listening. Luke's Aunt and Uncle are possibly also his brother and sister.

The ending felt little bit like a cop out. The mystery of what actually happened is a bit so what. To be honest, I'm in a trend where I'm bored by plot points. There is a good attempt at misleading us.

I guess I should talk about the relationships in this book, as it is a LGBT romance book. I don't know. The relationships are realistic, the teens are realistic. Megan not understanding her feelings towards Jasmine at first is something I liked.

Overall, I gave this book four out of five stars for breathing techniques. I enjoyed reading this book and it nice to see a different relationship dynamic in very YA setting. And am a terrible reviewer who should have forced myself to write this whole review straight after I read it.

I got this book off Netgalley for review and it's being published by tomorrow (5th February 2015).

No comments:

Post a Comment