Wednesday 2 April 2014

Book Review: The Accident by C.L. Taylor

I’ve read two titled The Accident but I had millions of them.

Sue Jackson has the perfect family but when her teenage daughter Charlotte deliberately steps in front of a bus and ends up in a coma she is forced to face a very dark reality. Retracing her daughter’s steps she finds a horrifying entry in Charlotte’s diary and is forced to head deep into Charlotte’s private world. In her hunt for evidence, Sue begins to mistrust everyone close to her daughter and she’s forced to look further, into the depths of her own past.
Sue will do anything to protect her daughter. But what if she is the reason that Charlotte is in danger?
I really like way this book is layout. You have a chapter from Sue’s present day and then have a diary entry from when Sue was in her twenties. In a lot of ways you need the book to be formatted this way to find to understand Suzan and her actions. There was also a nice balance, I didn’t find myself wanting to read one account more than other, I was keen to know what going on both in the present and the past.

We see the development of Sue and how she been changed from her experiences in the book. The characters all feel real. I could see where their coming from, even if I didn’t agree with their action. I also liked the complicated relationship Suzan had with her husband and her daughter.

The mystery is quite good I guess. I didn’t plainly see the solutions half away through the book. There are hints and I did kinda of idea what had happened. There’s a good build up and you go on the journey with Sue. It was nice not to be 20 steps a head of the protagonist. With diary Sue, I did see what was coming but that sadly was realistically that she didn’t.

Overall, I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars for terrible nightclubs. I really enjoyed this book and it one of the best crime/investigative books I’ve read. Recommend for people who always  figured out the solutions and notice when the solution doesn’t make sense.  

I got this off Netgalley for a review. It’s being published by Avon on 10th April 2014.

P.S. I think you can tell if I’ve left my review writing at the last minute by how short or formatted there are.

No comments:

Post a Comment