Wednesday 16 April 2014

Book Review: The Fearless by Emma Pass

There are several songs that share this title. That is a fact


The Fearless. An army, powered by an incredible new serum that makes each soldier stronger, sharper, faster than their enemies. Intended as a force for good, the serum has a terrible side-effect – anyone who takes it is stripped of all humanity, empathy, love. And as the Fearless sweep through the country, forcing the serum on anyone in their path, society becomes a living nightmare.

Cass remembers the night they passed through her village. Her father was Altered. Her mother died soon after. All Cass has left is her little brother – and when Jory is snatched by the Fearless and taken to their hellish lair, Cass must risk everything to get him back.

 The invasion meant to happen roughly now and then 7 years in the future, in Britain.

The world building was interesting. The idea sort has been done a few different ways, but I like the combination of things that joined together.  There are certain minor things left unexplained that I would have liked answer. There are also aspects of the fearless serum I didn’t buy which would be going to spoiler area. There is a level of disbelieve that I had to put up with this novel, it was just minor stuff though. 

The story is told from the point of view of three different characters which I was not expecting. It’s in no proper format and mostly favours Cass’s POV. There is maps and stuff which I know some people love.

I feel like Cass is a tiny bit bland, she not really developed as character as much as she should have been. I also not all the relationships are fleshed out enough. I liked Myo.

I feel like this ends like a start of series, but I’m sure that it is meant to be a stand-alone. All the major things are resolved, but there could be another book though. No idea what would happen in a second book; maybe I read it as that as most YA Dystopia’s tend to be series.

Overall, I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars for cloudy eyes. I enjoy this book, it not the best dystopia. I think Pass’s first book is stronger (which my review can be found here), I definitely look out for more Emma Pass in the future. If you like survival and war movements in your dystopia then I would recommend checking this novel out. Also it set in Britain, which is another plus.

I got this off Netgalley for a review. It’s being published by House Children’s Publishers UK on 24th April 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment