Saturday 27 June 2020

Tweeting Shame.

When you're a teenager, you do and say clingy things.

Been going through old tweets, deleted some of the worst ones. As a general rule, I don't delete tweets but a lot of them look worse due to having no context. Running jokes between teenagers who didn't know better. None of its terrible. Haven't found any slurs yet. The only one is a quote from Steven King when I doing a live read of Carrie. I probably should have censored.

I know I was ignorant about things as a teenager, like what are healthy relationships and I know I had racism and prejudice believes. Edge Humour was such a big thing online in the 00s and the early 10s so I know I was desensitised. I know I always knew that the N-word was bad, but there are other race-based slurs that were so commonplace that I would never have known there were slurs and hurtful. That's definitely a good thing about the internet is learning from different POVs than the ones you're surrounded by in life.

I'm only through 2011, maybe there's something worse lurking on it that will make want to go back and slap myself. So far there's nothing that I couldn't explain as an asinine joke. Trying to be funny isn't always excuse. There is some stuff you can explain but its never be excused and should just apologise and move on.

I don't believe in cancelling people over one mistake or ignorance. Especially if they immediately apologised when it's pointed out. Also, people never fact check and even seem proud of it. Like people are saying that Jenna Marbles intentionally did Blackface, when she was just covered in fake tan which she wore normally then. It would be different if she had darkened her skin just for that one video.  She should privatise the video. The thing is she was racist towards Chinese people and put it in a video it was racist. I think the big problem is that these were all years ago and Jenna Marbles is actually very apologetic. I think she should take a break, but I hope this isn't her exit from the internet.

People being intentionally or constantly problematic are the ones who need to be deplatformed. The problem is that a lot of them are doing for attention and don't care. I do think who you're okay being associate with is an issue. I mean why would have to be friends with someone whose constantly racist, ableist and queerphobic. I use to watch Shane Dawson and even listen to his podcast until it went private video and stopped making sense audioly. It does make me amazed the stuff that Shane use to say and I just it go because shock humour was such a big deal. Frankly, Shane should be ashamed of the things he did and said online. I know he's made an apology video but not sure I want to waste my time if he's not actually going to go deep with it.

We can take joy in one transphobe being deplatformed.

I left my hate of Justin Bieber up because it's not worded great but the emotion is the fame. Surpirsly, no weird dyslexic mistakes. Pretty coherent.

I keep going to say "Overall" when I finished these. Maybe because I've been writing a lot of reviews lately since I've not scheduling them and just trying to get reviews of books I read as them, so books I've read this year is actually accurate. I need to read and review 'Mexican Gothic' before I can catch up on the mess of before I started doing it this way.

Anyway, forgive people who change and throw out the ones who won't and continue to be harmful with their full chests.


No comments:

Post a Comment