Wednesday 28 August 2013

Book Review: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

It's not a book about an Assassin unless someone dies horribly. 

CROWNED BY EVIL.
BOUND BY DUTY.
DIVIDED BY LOVE.
THE ASSASSIN IS BACK – AND SHE’S BURNING WITH RAGE IN THE BLAZING-HOT SEQUEL TO THRONE OF GLASS

Celaena Sardothien, royal assassin, is the King of Adarlan's deadliest weapon. She must win her freedom through his enemies’ blood – but she cannot bear to kill for the crown. And every death Celaena fakes, every lie she tells, puts those she loves at risk.
Torn between her two protectors – a captain and a prince – and battling a dark force far greater than the king, Celaena must decide what she will fight for: her liberty, her heart, or the fate of a kingdom . . .

So this the second full length novel in the Throne of Glass series, once again writing this presumably you've read the first book (also read the novellas, they're good). I'm going to be honest that I found this review hard to write as I just didn't like it as much as the other book.
Basically, everything just proceeds from the last novel. There is some major new developments but like, yeah so what.

Like there's a weird triangle thing going on, I just really hate triangle romance thing. Its been old since Twilight and it such a lazy way of adding drama. Frankly, I find it more interesting to pair up the male corners of this triangle. Now that some drama, just think of the scandal. Also it all doesn't matter in the end really and I just want to slap a bitch.

The secrets got so annoying, like does anyone actually trust each other. I mean some of them have know each all their lives or risk their very lives for each other but no one tells anyone anything until it too damn late. By the end everything a big mess. Sort of mess which should have you begging for the next book but I could wait a year or two. Yes, I want to know what going on. However, I just don't care anymore.

There a few revelations in this book, one was sort of hinted at in the first book and the other was like "er...dur, that was obvious from book one and it means literally nothing." Also I guess some you might of not seen coming but makes sense. However, I really just didn't give a fuck.

A petpeeve (mainly from the first book but first chance to express it), is it has this whole medieval sort of thing going on and then the characters use the word "pants" to describe trouser and it really takes me out of the moment. Like that word is definitely not around till the 18th century sort of era and this series setting so isn't that. I guess if I wasn't British it wouldn't be so jarring.

Overall, I think this novel is weaker than the first in the series. To be honest, I might not have been in the best mood for this book when I read it, however it definitely suffers from Middle book syndrome. I gave it 4/5 stars for boring revelations. Will continue, though not in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment