Wednesday 13 August 2014

Book Review: Lobsters (also now know as A Totally Awkward Love Story) by Tom Ellen & Lucy Ivison

Don't buy books with Lobsters on them unless they have a daisy in their claw and

Sam and Hannah only have the holidays to find 'The One'. Their lobster. But instead of being epic, their summer is looking awkward. They must navigate social misunderstandings, the plotting of well-meaning friends, and their own fears of being virgins for ever to find happiness. But fate is at work to bring them together. And in the end, it all boils down to love.

I saw this book on Netgalley and didn't click on it because it looked like a American book and contemporary American romances is not something I'm not interest in, well because it everywhere. Of course going off the cover, wellies are not very American so I should have known that it wasn't set in the states. 

 I have also met these authors at the Edinburgh Book Festival (which is experience to be found here).

This is a duo perspective with Ellen writing the point of view of the boy character Sam and Ivison writing the point of view of Hannah. The story follows both them and their friends' summer. They live near one another but don't know each other at the start of the novel. They of course bump into each in comical ways through out the summer and hilarity insure.

 I really enjoyed this book as its funny and the characters are realistic. They are teenagers and do dumb things like teenagers do. I love finding realistic teens in YA (which is mainly why I don't read contemporary American romances).

They take the character to fun places such as music festival which reminded me fond memories of the time I went to TTIP the summer I left school.I also just want to say that there is a ton of Harry Potter references in this book. 

 Overall, I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars for names on doors. I really loved this book and I'm so glad that Edinburgh International Book Festival made me pick this masterpiece of YA contemporary (I'm not totally laughing from writing that last bit. I'm thinking of scene from the novel). I would totally recommend you read this book on bus on way and back to a Book Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment